To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Grime Free Neighborhoods - 1930's

Summer Repeat - three street cleaners sitting in front of Cochran Junior High School on Central Avenue in the 1930's. They look just like tanks to me. But considering there were still quite a few horse drawn wagons parading around, I guess you would want to be in something like this.
I thought our street cleaner was old - it just goes to show - not much has really changed when it comes to keeping all of us safe from grime. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I lived on Dupont St. and worked at the old Deardorff's #2 on central. I remember working on a Sunday back in the summer of '73 and seeing a horsedrawn buckboard going over the Central Ave. bridge toward's Cochran. Saw it several times that summer usually on a Sunday. Some old timer driving it too! Never forgot it. I also remember around the same time, some elder gentleman that lived on Dupont across the street from me, he lived at the apartment building at the intersection of Dupont and Coleman, I believe he was a live in caretaker. Amost every Sunday he would put on his best "Sunday Go to Meetin'" suite and go for his usual constituion. His suite was right out the 1920's, three piece tweed and "Skimmer"!! That man walked more proud than anyone I ever knew. He had good reason.