To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Joseph Johns (Schantz)

Reader Samuel Fuge sent in this picture of one Johnstown's best known figures - Joseph Johns (Schantz). He was Sam's 6th great grandfather and he is a direct blood relative of Joseph and have come around to discovering some different items of his and a few pictures. I look forward to seeing more on one of Johnstown's Most Famous.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would anyone know the year of this picture? I did not know that cameras existed that many years ago.

Anonymous said...

Joseph Johns -- the founder of Johnstown -- lived from 1749-1813. That means this cannot be a pic of him. The first real pictures possible would have been around 1840 and even then rare. Not even close to the time necessary.

Debra said...

Sure looks like him, though--according to some online records he had a son named Joseph born 1792 died 1868. Perhaps this is Joseph Johns Jr.?

Anonymous said...

This is actually a photograph of Joseph Johns III, whose photograph was used as the model for the bust that is now in Central Park.

PSzymeczek said...

Being Amish, Joseph Schantz would never have had a portrait made, nor a photograph taken (if photography had been available during his life. He was my fifth-great grandfather through my paternal grandmother.

Robert Francis said...

Dna tests confirm that I am a direct male descendant of the Joseph Johns/Schantz line. However, my last name is neither Johns nor Schantz. I am not Mennonite and I don't have any family members who were either. I am interested in finding the parents of my grandfather born in 1813 in NY. If anyone would have any relative family information contact me at rtfrancis@hotmail.com